Subject: IDE woes...
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/30/1995 11:27:37
I'm not sure that this is a NetBSD problem, but it's a problem for me,
so I'm sending it here anyway:

After playing with NetBSD/mac68k for a while, I decided I definitely
needed to install NetBSD on my 386.  However, the 540M disk I have
doesn't seem to like me.  Details:

computer: Magnavox HeadStart 386-DX33 w' 387.
IDE controller: onboard.
Disk 1: 130M Conner; works just fine.
Disk 2: 540M Quantum LPS540AT: 1120 cylinders, 16 heads, 59 sectors.

Symptoms:
NetBSD tries to use LBA with the big disk, for what it's worth.  But
that doesn't appear to work.

The things I've tried in order to get the big disk to work are:
	using 560/32/59 geometry
	using 280/64/59 geometry
	using 1024/16/59 geometry
	using DrivePro disk overlay software
The only thing that worked was DrivePro, and it only likes DOS :-(.
For each of the geometry things I tried, I tried copying lots of files
in DOS from the little disk to the big one, and then running scandisk;
when I got billions of errors, I figured something wasn't working.  I
also tried NetBSD, which is happy with its own little partition on the
little disk, but had lots of troubles on fsck'ing the big disk after a
newfs.  If I do a fsck -y and then a fsck -f, the second one gets
(apparently) all the same errors as the first one.

So, what can I do?  I'm considering just throwing away the IDE drives
and getting a SCSI controller, but that's not as cost-effective as
getting this drive to work.  Should I get a new IDE controller?  (The
computer will take an off-board one.)  Should I try to get a new BIOS?
(I don't think I can find one for this thing.)  Or is there something
I can do to NetBSD to get it to be happier with the disk?

Thanks in advance for any help; sorry if this is a FAQ, but i couldn't
find it in the installation notes and such.

					Chris

--
***********************cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu*********************
* Chris  | "You can't say that Microsoft hasn't ever put the buggy       *