Subject: Re: PD-Disk
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/28/1995 17:39:42
Jeff Kreska (jeff_kreska@ftw.paging.mot.com) wrote
>Does any one know if PD Disk's are supported under NetBSD??
>
>The boot spits out some information about the device being an unknown type.

I use a PD drive on netbsd/arm32 a new port shortly joining the source tree.
The only problem I had was that the sd driver reported that it could not read
mode sense page 4 (rigid geometry) and was thus faking the geom.

The other problem I has was that it was failing to invalidate the disklabel
when I swapped discs as the drive does not appear to report a unit attention
when the media is changes and from what I can tell only a unit attention or not
ready message from the drive will invalidate the disklabel i.e. clear
SDEV_MEDIA_LOADED.

I have made a couple of patches to sd to sort these probs out.

regarding the first problem, the SCSI2 specs say that mode sense page 4 is
reserved for optical memory devices so the sd driver should not really be
trying to read it for these devices.

Cheers,
				Mark

--