Subject: Re: ZIP drives
To: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>
From: Tom Pavel <PAVEL@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/1995 10:29:20

> The disklabel I used is slightly different from either of those suggested.
> I tried Phil Knaack's suggestion, and it was almost right.  But I found that
> to read my data I had to start the partition at offset 32 instead of 0 (and
> make corresponding the reduction in size).  I wonder if this has to do with
> the MSDOS partition table on the disk (I partitioned the disk and formatted
> the MSDOS filesystem on a PC using Windows NT, and wrote the files on a
> Macintosh with PC File Exchange).

As you've already heard, this is standard DOS formatting.  I guess that it
is because of the MBR/partition table, though I'm not really sure why.

[And I guess 96/64/32 is the conventional geometry, even though I know
there are only 2 heads in there...]

What I wanted to ask is if either of you have been able to successfully
write to your ZIP disks?  I finally got mine partitioned, and was able to
mount it (with msdos fs), but then I had a nasty SCSI crash and it took out
the filesystem on my /usr partition.  Since then, I've been too
shell-shocked to try it again.

I suspected some kind of SCSI cabling or termination problem.  Except that
I've been able to read/write to the ZIP under DOS no problem (with the same
cabling).  So, I've been wondering if there's something funny in the way
the ZIP drive interprets SCSI, perhaps together with something in the
NetBSD driver for my Adaptec 1520...  What have your experiences been like?

Many thanks for info,

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
pavel@slac.stanford.edu                 http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~pavel/