Subject: Re: atapi cdrom drivers
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Open Carefully -- Contents Under Pressure <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/20/1995 17:00:25
Could someone clarify what ATAPI is all about, i.e., what does the acronym
represent?

[ All this time I thought that ATAPI was a brand name the way it was being
bandied about.]

#define AUTHOR "mike.long@analog.com (Mike Long)"

/*
 *
 * >From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@lix.polytechnique.fr>
 * >Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 13:55:12 +0100 (MET)
 *
 * >wdc0    at isa? port 0x1f0 irq 14
 * >wdc1	at isa? port 0x170 irq ?
 * >wd* at wdc? drive ?
 * >atapibus* at wdc?  #one atapibus per controller
 * >acd* at atapibus? drive ?   #The atapi cdrom, could be other devices
 *
 * >Any comment/suggestions ?
 *
 * I think 'atapibus' is redundant.  'scsibus' is necessary because the
 * SCSI protocol is standardized but the I/O interface is not.  IDE (also
 * EIDE and ATAPI) standardize both the protocol and the I/O interface.
 * --
 * Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
 * VLSI Design Engineer         finger mikel@shore.net for PGP public key
 * Analog Devices, CPD Division          CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B
 * Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "mike.long@analog.com (Mike Long)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
Timesharing is dead.
Microsoft Windows-NT is going to take over the desktop completely.