Subject: Re: possible (small) install improvements for i386 1.1
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/15/1995 14:03:45
> when the thing first boots. I've also made changes to install.sh for
> the i386 port to more out /kern/msgbuf so that users don't have to try
> to quickly write down all the information they need as the machine
> boots but can collect it later on at a leisurely pace.

Excellent.

> Are there any other small changes that can radially improve
> ease of installation that people would like me to try to add? Anything
> that takes more than a couple of lines of shell or the like isn't
> going to make it in -- in fact, my current changes might not make it
> in -- so I'm looking for simple things that make life easier.

I think it would be a huge improvement if during the process of
allocating space to file systems, some indication is given as to how
much space should be allocated.  Eg.

--------------------8<--------------------
The following are the minimum space requirements of portions of the
NetBSD fileystem. (I'm making the numbers up BTW)

/	8Mb
/var	8Mb
/usr	40Mb

If you plan to have multiple directories on the same filesystem, add
the requirements together.  If /tmp is not a separate system, be sure
to allow for it.

The above would be quite simple to add, would provide a lot of useful
data to the user.  I'm pretty sure most folk could handle adding up
8+8 or even 8+8+40 so they could determine how big they want to make
each filesystem.

--sjg