Subject: Re: dd comand for building install floppies
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Callum Gibson <callum@bain.oz.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/15/1995 11:49:37
Ken Hornstein writes:
:-)>Any one know off the top of their head the dd comand I would use to generate
:-)>the install disks from the .fs files.
:-)>
:-)>	I tryed "gzcat inst-10A.fs.gz | dd of=/dev/fd/0 bs=20" with no luck.
:-)
:-)(Although I'm not quite sure while you're writing to stdin, of all places;
:-)will that even work??)

In the past I've just cat'd images straight onto floppy and not bothered to
dd. i.e gzcat inst-10A.fs.gz > /dev/rfd0a.  Is there any reason this isn't
a good idea?  In fact the reverse of this is how I got a cpio binary once
which I needed to install 0.9 (I think it was) - I didn't know the install
floppy didn't have cpio and I'd packed the binary dist onto tape using it. So
I used rawrite from dos to write cpio on to a floppy (which I'd unpacked on
another machine from the binary dist and then uploaded via modem), then
booted up the install floppy (or it might have been the initial hard-disk
boot) and cat < /dev/rfd0a > cpio. This, of course, read past the end of the
file so I just ^C'd it when I thought I had enough of it. :-) It still worked,
although it was about 10 times too big with lots of trailing junk. Lucky
there's no binary checksum.  Sorry for any mental anguish I've caused by that
grotesque description.

Callum Gibson                                             callum@bain.oz.au
Fixed Income Division, DB Bain & Co.                          61 2 258 1620
## The opinions presented herein do not represent those of DB Bain & Co ###