Subject: doshutdownhooks() in boot()
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/13/1995 00:46:43
I just send-pr'ed a bug in the i386 port with the floppy drive motor
not shutting off if you halted the machine before shut off.

I haven't yet examined everything in detail, but...

1) I just discovered something I never knew, which is that the kernel
   has a provision for shutdown hooks in various places that is handed
   via the doshutdownhooks() facility...
2) If I am not mistaken, the floppy driver doesn't make use of it.
3) If I am not mistaken, even if the floppy driver did make use of it,
   it wouldn't work because boot() in machdep.c on the i386 port seems
   to call doshutdownhooks() AFTER the user hits the key to reboot,
   at which point the machine was already officially "halted",
   possibly for a very long time indeed.

Anyone more knowledgeable than me have a comment on either of these?

Perry