Subject: Re: EISA Vs. PCI on big mean news machine
To: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
From: dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/10/1995 12:41:05
>> No, the reason these big companies still have EISA busses in their
>> big, high-end multi-processor servers is because EISA is well defined,
>> and it works.  PCI doesn't.  At least, not until recently.  Compaq
>> couldn't get a PCI chipset that would work on its multi-processor
>> machines, and I still don't know if they offer PCI in their big
>> Prolineas, at least not the four-processor-capable models.

This is silly. Millions would question this one. Compaq has long been
a vendor with questionable MBs (as they implement many of their own
"standards"). The taiwanese have been making ones that work well for
many months now. The days of brand-name superiority have long been
replaced by quick-turn flexibility. Perhaps the market is different in zinkunka
(or wherever you are), but in the US there are many more quality PCI choices
that EISA.

>my 0.02,
>
>How long does it take to get a box from design to mass production?
>Considering PCI only recently became 'stable' these vendors might have PCI
>designs on the cards right now, but we'll only see the machines next year
>sometime...

For the taiwanese.....four weeks. For Compaq, HP, etc....a year.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25