Subject: Re: EISA Vs. PCI on big mean news machine
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/10/1995 10:42:59
Hi

> No, the reason these big companies still have EISA busses in their
> big, high-end multi-processor servers is because EISA is well defined,
> and it works.  PCI doesn't.  At least, not until recently.  Compaq
> couldn't get a PCI chipset that would work on its multi-processor
> machines, and I still don't know if they offer PCI in their big
> Prolineas, at least not the four-processor-capable models.

my 0.02,

How long does it take to get a box from design to mass production?
Considering PCI only recently became 'stable' these vendors might have PCI
designs on the cards right now, but we'll only see the machines next year
sometime...

et
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB