Subject: Re: EISA Vs. PCI on big mean news machine
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.hedgehog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1995 19:53:54
Verily did dennis write:

> Companies are producing these because the unix and novell vendors take
> so long to add things  like PCI and drivers, and EISA is older and
> there's lots of guys (like you) who are telling everyone how great it
> is. They also began developing them before PCI was widely accepted,
> plus EISA is compatible with ISA so you don't lose ISA slots with an
> EISA slot, so putting all EISA is not as limiting as all PCI.

Even -Sun- has managed to come up with drivers for every PCI card that I can
think of for Solaris/x86.  That isn't the reason.

PCI is still buggy, even Intel (the big green monster) has problems
producing PCI chipsets that work properly.

Also, you've pretty much detailed the exact reasons why EISA isn't
necessarily going away soon.

> I find it amazing that you're arguing against the obvious.

If everyone else (but you) in the technical community is talking about
"how great it is", don't you stop to wonder if they might be right?

/* Note the distinction of "technical".  The stupid masses have promoted
 * Windoze to the level of shit that it's at now, but those aren't the
 * same types that are talking to blah@netbsd.org.
 */

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Sunnyvale.California.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://pobox.com/~windsor/

"Ain't much distance 'tween a pat on the back and a kick in the pants."
    -- David Lee Roth (1990), `The Dogtown Shuffle'