Subject: Re: EISA Vs. PCI on big mean news machine
To: Rob Windsor <windsor@hedgehog.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1995 10:04:43
On Nov 8, 10:46pm, Rob Windsor wrote:
}
} An Example,
}
} If Jake Foo wanted to PCI the world on his machine, he would have one
} video card, one ethernet adaptor, and one scsi controller on the PCI
} bus to start out.  For 50% (mebbe more?) of the motherboards, that's
} it.
}
} If he wanted to do the Matrox dual-head (mmm) thing, then he would need
} another PCI slot; if he wanted to add another SCSI controller, he'd need
} another PCI slot; ... ad nausium.
}
} Yah, yah, who's going to put two hd-controllers -and- two video cards in
} their system?  (Uhh, I will.  :> )

     Just as a point of reference, my machine has three disk
controllers (ESDI, RLL, and SCSI; low budget operation with scavanged
equipment) and normally two video cards (HGC, and VGA; one of my
monitors is broken), a serial board (controlling external modem and
UPS), a bus mouse, and an Ethernet card which fills up eight slots.  I
find those new mini seven slot motherboards and the ones that stick a
battery behind a slot making it useless really obnoxious.  I could
easily use a 12 slot motherboard.

}-- End of excerpt from Rob Windsor