Subject: Re: EISA Vs. PCI on big mean news machine
To: dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
From: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasquatch.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1995 02:20:49

> This is all nice and accurate (but unattainable), but the real reason to
> go with PCI is because its new and accepted and EISA is old and dying.
> Many vendors are developing PCI products, few (if any) are developing
>  EISA products. Since PCI is more widely used, there are more products
> and they're less expensive....and PCI is 4X faster.
>
> Dennis
> Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com
>
> Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
> Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
> Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25

I agree that it is faster, I just am inclined to look for an answer
that is not on the cutting edge, because I hate to be the person that is
doing the Beta testing. I am always happier when someone has been there
and stepped in all the mud puddles before me. There are so many FAST
SCSI-2 disk choices now at good prices, and there are people starting
to dump EISA controllers at cheap prices. I am seeing 1740's and 1742's
at about $70 so I can put three or four on a new Pentium EISA motherboard
and put the $260 saved per controller into new drives instead. The theory
I have seen for a news server is lots of smaller drives with fast seek on
lots of controllers. Seems that two old slow 600 meg ESDI disks won't cut
it anymore. My plan is four 1.2 gig 8.5 ms access drives in external case
per 1742/1740 and three or four controllers.

Yes?

Dennis, are the T1 adapters available in a EISA flavor?

One last question:

What are the Supported EISA Nic's for NetBSD ?

I do thank you,

Jeff Northon