Subject: Re: Adaptec install
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Volker A. Brandt <volker@carlotta.iam.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1995 10:03:47
In article <199511071651.LAA16180@amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu> David Mazieres <dm@amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu> writes:
>> DMA beyond 16mb.  Until we have bounce buffer support (which has to be
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Realistically speaking, is this ever going to happen?

I still hope so.

>almost every PC I find that's more than about a year old has an
>Adaptek 1542 SCSI controller in it.  Several people I know have
>refused even to try NetBSD when they found out it does not support
>bounce buffers.

Same here.

>I myself, much as I prefer NetBSD, am basically on
>the verge of running FreeBSD for a while because 16 Meg just isn't
>enough to do the kinds of things I do without uncomfortable swapping.

Same here.

>It's also a pain to keep hand editing the machdep.c file to ignore my
>upper 16 Meg of RAM.

Could you please post your modifications?  I'm sure there's lots of
people out there who could use that!

>Adaptek driver and made the code available?  For this particular
>problem, I really don't care about elegance and would be delighted to
>use garbage code if it got the job done.

Same here.

NetBSD is great but it has its dark corners 8-(

Saddened -- Volker
Chirac -- Le fossoyeur de la Grande Nation 		Volker A. Brandt
Internet: volker@iam.uni-bonn.de			Angewandte Mathematik
Phone/FAX number available upon request			(Bonn, Germany)