Subject: PCVT (was Re: headless PeeSea)
To: None <hm@hcs.de>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.hedgehog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/1995 00:53:26
Verily did Hellmuth Michaelis write:

>> Ugh, I forgot to mention that I'm using pcvt (the one that's incorporated
>> in -current).

> The pcvt in -current should/MUST(!)/does timeout at boot time when no key-
> board is attached to the system (at least it does it under NetBSD 1.0).

Yeah, that's the case, and compiling a kernel with pccons for the headless
machine removed the kbd dependancy (it blurbs a warning, but continues).

> Since i have not running -current someone should have a look and fix it in
> case it is broken for -current.

Not that I know of, it looked like pcvt was behaving as it should (timeout
if it can't talk to the keyboard).  I didn't bother to turn on my brain
and figure out that pcvt is for real-console machines.

But, this brings up another question...

PCVT fonts (or something) get quite grumpy with my video card (Matrox
Millennium).  It boots fine, but when it loads up the fonts and such,
something goes nuts and I finish up with a display full of `@' (I think)
and really unreadable characters.

The quick fix was to move the pcvt utils so that rc.local doesn't see
them, and therefore doesn't load the fonts.

Have you heard of such a problem before, and if so, is there a fix?
(And where can I grab the latest pcvt?)

Thanks.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Sunnyvale.California.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://pobox.com/~windsor/

"Ain't much distance 'tween a pat on the back and a kick in the pants."
    -- David Lee Roth (1990), `The Dogtown Shuffle'