Subject: Re: ZIP drives
To: Tom Pavel <PAVEL@slac.stanford.edu>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@ncremp.ag.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/05/1995 12:03:17
>Here is a disktab that I pieced together for the ZIPs.  I found some
>info from Iomega's web pages, but not enough to be sure that I have
>the right geometry.  [As I recall, the drive did not report its
>geometry.]

Actually it does report the geometry, when there is a disk in the drive.
Otherwise, the drive reports as "offline" and won't report geometry.
Other than a few complaints from the kernel each time a disk is mounted,
it works just fine. The verbose nature of the "illegal request" complaints
the kernel spits out on first accesses to a disk are due to the spin-up
time of the drive, and are unique to netbsd. The L*n*x drivers don't spit
out those types of errors.

According to a friend of mine with a SCSI book, the
	data = 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 02 71 00 00
actually means "drive not yet ready" or somesuch.

It will also complain about lack of a disklabel if you're using the ms-dos
filesystem.

>Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to fool with my
>drive yet in order to verify if this is really correct...  [So,
>beware.]

>zip|Dummy label for accessing ZIP drive:\
>        :dt=SCSI:ty=removable:rm#3600:\
>        :nc#2406:ns#40:nt#2:\
>        :se#512:\
>        :pa#192480:oa#0:ta=MSDOS:\
>        :pd#192480:od#0:

>[You might want ta=4.2BSD instead of MSDOS.]

Actually, if you boot the kernel with a disk in the drive, it reports
the geometry as 96 cylinders, 64 tracks, 32 sectors. This means that
there are 196608 sectors, not 192480 as you have above.

[I verified this value the day I got my drive by actually trying to write
 to all sectors on a disk.]

Win95 also verifies this geometry.

The disklabel I use is as below.

[...]
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 96
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
[...]
         size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:   196608        0    4.2BSD      512  4096    10   # (Cyl.    0 - 95)
  d:   196608        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 95)

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phil Knaack                    flipk@iastate.edu
Database Programmer, NCREMP    Student Development Group