Subject: Re: ZIP drives
To: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>
From: Tom Pavel <PAVEL@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/04/1995 19:59:53

> Has anyone used ZIP drives with netbsd?  Do they work as normal SCSI
> disk devices?

Yes.  However, there is no support for the removable aspect of the ZIP
drive.  You must make sure to unmount any filesystems before changing
media, etc.

Here is a disktab that I pieced together for the ZIPs.  I found some
info from Iomega's web pages, but not enough to be sure that I have
the right geometry.  [As I recall, the drive did not report its
geometry.]  Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to fool with my
drive yet in order to verify if this is really correct...  [So,
beware.]

zip|Dummy label for accessing ZIP drive:\
        :dt=SCSI:ty=removable:rm#3600:\
        :nc#2406:ns#40:nt#2:\
        :se#512:\
        :pa#192480:oa#0:ta=MSDOS:\
        :pd#192480:od#0:

[You might want ta=4.2BSD instead of MSDOS.]

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
pavel@slac.stanford.edu                 http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~pavel/