Subject: Re: NetBSD_ALPHA1.1: No PCI-PCI Bridge support?
To: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/1995 18:02:03
On Fri, 03 Nov 1995 22:31:17 +0000
 Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com> wrote:

 > I was surpised to get the following message:
 >
 > pci0 bus 0 device 9: unknown vendor/product: 0x1011/0x0001 (class: bridge,
 > subclass: PCI, revision: 0x01) not configured

I'm sort of disappointed by it, as well.

 > This is a DC21050 and is PCI-PCI Bridge (sitting behind the PPB are
 > DC21040s).  I am quite surprised that PPBs are not supported considering
 > how widely they are being used.

Yah, especially in Alphas.  (If I remember correctly, Chris did a fair
amount of the bridge work for NetBSD/alpha on my AlphaStation 600.)

 > Is PPB support planned to be a port-1.1 item?

Heh.  There needs to be a fair amount of change to the PCI code in the
tree to support stuff like this.  Chris's NetBSD/alpha PCI code does the
trick, but it needs to be munged to work in the i386.  (Note, that
Chris's PCI New World Order isn't fully integrated into the tree, the
last I checked.  My Alphas are running Chris's last source snapshot
(well, with a good number of local changes, but...)

My projects here may necessitate my doing some of that integration, but I'm
not going to make any promises at the moment.