Subject: Re: PAS/16 driver
To: Alec H. Peterson <chuckie@panix.com>
From: Brandon Reed (alaric) <reed@engr.orst.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/1995 21:43:58
On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Alec H. Peterson wrote:

> Brandon Reed writes:
> >It works (ed) ... long story ... fine here there must be another problem.
> >I built a new kernel and now it won't mount any ufs file systems.
>
> Wow, that is an interesting problem.  How are you managing to boot up
> without UFS filesystems mounted?
Exactly :(
I have DOS/Win95 dual-booted on the same machine.
There's nothing wrong with the file systems, I booted from my 1.0a boot
floppy and was able to mount them but couldn't boot that kernel from the
hard disk to completion (it hung somewhere I don't remember where though.)
probably some conflict with a 1.1 binary (old kernel)

The wieredest thing is I have it set up like this:
/ wd0a
/usr wd0e
/var wd1a
/dosd wd1e
/dosc wd0f
/usr/src/sys wd0g

it mounts root, it mounts the dos file systems but won't mount either
/var or /usr so I can't go to multi-user mode.
I can boot to single user mode but when I try to mount /var or /usr (or
even /dev/fd0a)
I get:
ufs: something about operation unsupported by device
!!!!

The system was running fine with a kernel I built about 4 days ago.
I being totally stupid copied the new kernel over the old one without
backing up the old one. (The problem was I had changed some stuff in the
pcvt keyboard config file and it didn't like it so I was going to rebuild
with the defaults)

I can't boot the 1.1a boot floppies because of a
hardware conflict and I don't really want to tear out my cards to accomodate
it, I believe my panasonic CD-rom is the conflict.

I wish the boot floppies dealt better with not finding the hardware it
expects at the addresses it expects :(

 Like: My CD-rom is at base-io 300 which I believe the generic kernel
expects to find a ne2k net card or something else at which naturally hangs
the machine solid.

Alaric,           | Archery: A deeply seated hatred of paper with bright
Mka Brandon Reed  |  coloured circles printed on it.
reed@engr.orst.edu|
http://www.engr.orst.edu:80/~reed