Subject: Re: Running without a video console
To: None <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: David Mazieres <dm@denhaag.lcs.mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/1995 18:15:33
> Date: Wed, 01 Nov 1995 01:21:35 -0500
> From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
>
> Speaking of the netboot code ... I was looking at it, and I noticed that
> it looks _real_ stale (it still says "386bsd" in it, and I remember when
> I played with a few years ago, it used the wrong magic number for the kernel).
> Does anyone use it?

No, but I've tried it and wished it worked.  I boot a lot of strange
kernels, and would like to be able to do so without having to boot
NetBSD each time just to copy the new kernel onto the hard drive.  If
anyone does have a version of netboot that works (preferably off a
floppy with the "dosload" program) please let me know about it.

BTW, among other things (like, the fact that netboot reboots the
machine), it also seems to have problems figuring out the default
gateway.  Even when I'm on the local net, it tries to go through some
random gateway.

Thanks a lot,
David