Subject: Re: Running without a video console
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/1995 01:27:38
>You need to differentiate between running and installing.
>
>I believe you will need a video card and monitor long enough to
>install the operating system.  (Obviously, the BIOS of most PeeCees
>does not take kindly to serial "consoles".)

I had always figured on having to install on a machine with a video card
(or perhaps build a system on another drive and then move the drive over).
But I think that if you built a set of boot floppies with serial boot blocks,
then you _could_ do it ...

>Once you have everything set up the way you want it, and have a kernel
>built and installed with a serial console, you should be able to yank
>the video card and reboot.

Did you still keep the keyboard attached?  And I assume you used COMCONSOLE
to force a serial console?

--Ken