Subject: Re: booting problems..
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/1995 14:46:02
Hi James,

> Hi everyone, I recently acquired a Dell DGX 5100 (Pentium 100) with the
> onboard ncr SCSI chip, carrying a nice 128Mb ram, but I've got one small
> problem.... it WON'T BOOT!!
>
> It attempts to read the boot floppy, reports 64Mb ram (not 128Mb) and
> goes |, then /, then - and then reboots.

AFAIK, NetBSD had a bug which limited the mem it could deal with to 64 MB.
I don't know if this bug has ben fixed though, and I am not sure if this
applies to port-i386. Anyone?
Anyways, please provide more information about the system you are using
(I don't have a DELL :-). Which bootfloppies are you using?

> presumably this is a bios problem but it'd be nice to find a way around it. ;)

I don't think it's a BIOS problem, see above. To make sure it isn't,
try booting any other OS and see how much of the available mem it sees.

Hope that helped

  Guenther