Subject: finding my serial port
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bartholomew Niswonger <bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/20/1995 16:43:25
Hello, first off I want to thank all the people who offered to build a
kernel for me.  James Burton was kind enough to do it, and it works
great.  I still seem to be having trouble finding my serial port
however.

I do:

monty% cu -l/dev/tty00
Connected.
<The modem's TR light goes on, I hit a key>
cu: write: Input/output error.

<The modem's TR light goes off>
Disconnected.
monty%

(I have tried this with both tty00 and tty01)
The kernel is looking for com1 at 3f8 irq 4 and com2 2f8, irq 3
The bios reports serial ports at 3f8 and 2f8

I dont know a lot about pc's, but someone suggested that this might be
the behavior of serial ports when the IRQ is set wrong, is that
possible?
Is there any other explanation?

The card is a no-name old card, with a WinBond chip-set.  Of course I
have no manual (that would be too easy), but I have tried playing with
some of the jumpers (the card is very similar to a friend's so we
tried out some settings, nothing really changed.)

I am curious if anyone has any other ideas besides the ports being at
the wrong IRQ.  I have no other cards in the box right now (took out
the ethernet) except a mono video card.
Also, is there any utility for probing the serial port to find out
what IRQ the card is set to?

This is all for a 386dx40 running 1.0

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for the help with the kernel.

Bart

   Bartholomew Niswonger
   bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu               Voice:..........312.955.2746

   CS Student...............University of Chicago
   Programmer...............Biological Sciences Division/Academic Computing
   Projects.................CGI/HTML & Databases
   OS of choice.............NetBSD {Amiga, hp300, i386}