Subject: Re: Before and after the 1.1 release
To: None <hvozda@netcom.com>
From: Charles Hannum <Charles-Hannum@deshaw.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/1995 13:05:29
   On Thu, 5 Oct 1995 11:02:13 -0400  Charles Hannum wrote:

   > * PCMCIA support.  This is going to be difficult in its current state.

   I use this, so I have interest :-)

   Why will it be difficult?

I looked at the code again over the weekend, and most of my complaints
about it seem to have been addressed.  The remaining problems are:

1) Its configuration model is somewhat wrong.  It should be more like
the current SCSI code, where you have something like:

pcic (PCMCIA controller chip) -->
pcmciabus (crossbar) -->
ed, ep, etc. (PCMCIA devices)

The pcmciabus should be able to have as many subdevices as that
controller supports, which may not be limited to 2.  In addition, you
should be able to have an `infinite' number of controller chips in a
single machine.

2) It doesn't notice when a device is removed or added; you have to
tell it manually.

Probably neither of these are sufficient to prevent committing the
code, but they should be fixed at some point.