Subject: Argh!!! My notebook is dying!?!
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/1995 20:06:45
Ok, I know this is not very useful info but I'm desperate....

My Toshiba notebook (2130CT) has been happily running NetBSD-current
for weeks and had been running X happily for about a week.

I just walked into the room a few minutes ago and the display had gone
haywire - almost as if the xterm window had suddenly grown vertically
beyond the top and bottom of the screen.  Nothing responded.  I had
been using it happily a few minutes before this.  It had been running
X constantly for a few days now with no apparent problems.  It was
running 640x480 only - supposedly within its spec.

I had to hit the reset button.  When it booted again it complained
about a few files in / just inodes reported so no idea what files...

When it came up I logged in and within about a minute, the screen
started fading to white and going brown at the corners - like it was
burning!  Scary stuff with a brand new $6k computer.

I quickly powered it off, reset and booted DOS/Windoze.
It came up happily and Windoze sat there in all its colorful glory
without any sign of a problem.

After I while I booted NetBSD again and even before it had finished
booting the screen started ``burning'' again....

I've since powered it off.

Now can _anyone_ suggest some frobbing that NetBSD is doing that might
cause this?

It is running the same kernel it has been for weeks without any sign
of trouble.  It is 95-08-18 vintage, I'm running the same sources on
zen which has been up and happy since that date.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

--sjg