Subject: Help! I cannot print to lpt port.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kang H. Lee <kanghoon@ix.NETCOM.COM>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/29/1995 17:47:56
Hi!

I have HP Deskjet 540 connected to lpt1.  I have setup the printcap
file according to the "Unix System Administration Handbook", and tried
to print.  However, the lpq gives following error message.

"waiting for hp-djet to become ready (offline ?)"

When I manually start the printer with lpc, it gives error saying it
cannot start the daemon.  When I manually start the lpd and then run
"lpc start all", it starts fine but gives above error message.  When I
check the lpd by typing "ps -aux | grep lpd", it lists two lpds.  Any
pointer would be greatly appreciated.

BTW my printcap file contains following lines:

hp-djet|lp|HP Deskjet 540|:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt2:sd=/var/spool/hp-djet:lf=/var/log/pr-errs:
                ^

                This is because it shows lpt2 at the boot time.

Thanks in advance.

Kanghoon