Subject: Re: Disklabel problems
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: None <haury@sagem.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/1995 17:08:29
Frank van der Linden wrote:
>1) The DOS partition does not exceed 1024 cylinders.
>2) If the NetBSD partition has to be used for booting, it has to start well
>   below 1024 cylinders, so that the BIOS (called by the bootblocks) is
>   able to find the kernel.
>3) Stuff like the On-track Disk Manager or BIOS options to fake disk
>   geometry are not used (i.e. the geometry used by DOS has to be
>   the same as that for NetBSD).
>
>- Frank

The problem is the point 3. My BIOS does not allow me to switch off the 'fake
disk feature' (or I don't known how to do that :-( ). So I can't share DOS
and NetBSD on the same disk when nb_cyl > 1024.

I hope this is not a FAQ but I didn't understand why the kernel decides
to use fdisk info instead of disklabel ones when it reopens the bootdisk.
It might be obvious but I haven't got any documentation on theses tables.
(This is why I didn't hack the kernel, I'm afraid to realize an enormous bug).

--
		=Christian Haury (Christian.Haury@sagem.fr)

	|   SAGEM Eragny - Avenue du Gros Chene - Eragny BP 51    |
	|             95612 Cergy Pontoise Cedex - France         |
	| phone   : +33 (1) 34 30 53 93 | telex   : 607387F       |
	| fax     : +33 (1) 34 30 50 28 | teletex : 933-130731770 |