Subject: Re: Disklabel problems
To: Cisco Lopez-Fresquet <cisco@src.honeywell.com>
From: None <haury@sagem.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/1995 10:51:08
Cisco Lopez-Fresquet wrote:

> [ deleted ]
>
>It also seems to be having problems with the disk type, I am using a 1 Gig IDE
>drive.  Any ideas?
>
>  Thanks again,
>
> - cisco
>   HTC honeywell
>   minneapolis

Well, I'm not sure this could help you but ...

1) if you don't care about informations stored in that disk you can purge
   data on the first track with a 'dd' or a disk editor. So disklabel will not
   see its table as 'locked'. I known you have to do that when you want to
   replace a NetBSD install by a DOS one.

2) it is not possible to share an IDE disk between DOS and NetBSD if the
   disk geometry have more than 1024 tracks. DOS fdisk don't store the real
   geometry but something like tracks/2 and nb_heads * 2. NetBSD tries to use
   this fake geometry at boot time even if you tell to disklabel the right one.
   (result: the boot still frozen with disk I/O errors)
   BTW: my version is 1.0 not -current.

--
		=Christian Haury (Christian.Haury@sagem.fr)

	|   SAGEM Eragny - Avenue du Gros Chene - Eragny BP 51    |
	|             95612 Cergy Pontoise Cedex - France         |
	| phone   : +33 (1) 34 30 53 93 | telex   : 607387F       |
	| fax     : +33 (1) 34 30 50 28 | teletex : 933-130731770 |