Subject: Re: installing with out floppies
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Bartholomew Niswonger <bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/1995 08:37:45
Do you know of a way to write a i386-compatible disklabel?

I guess that should have been my original question.

> >Is there anyway to do it without floppies.  Any utils to drop the
> >stuff on the disk without a floppy.  I have an amiga with an IDE
> >controller and netbsd running, could I use it to right the bootblocks
> >and kernal and all?
>
> If you can convince your Amiga to write an i386-compatible disklabel
> on the IDE disk, then you can use that method.  Otherwise you need a
> floppy.
>
> >Am I in luck, or will I have to go find a couple floppies?
>
> You only need one floppy drive, if I remember correctly.
> --
> Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel

Is there any way to use another netbsd port to initialize an i386 hard
disk?  (write a disklabel, get all the tools needed for
booting/installing the system on to the disk)  Has anyone done this
before?  The reason is that I have no floppy drives.

Thanks for any help

Bart Niswonger

   Bartholomew Niswonger
   bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu               Voice:..........312.955.2746

   CS Student...............University of Chicago
   Programmer...............Biological Sciences Division/Academic Computing
   Projects.................CGI/HTML & Databases
   OS of choice.............NetBSD {Amiga, hp300, i386}