Subject: Re: IDE DMA transfers
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Onno van der Linden <onno@simplex.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/20/1995 18:30:09
"Eric S. Hvozda" <hvozda@netcom.com> wrote:

> Ok, the first one never appeared on the list; let's assume it's lost:

 No it was not, I saw two messages, but anyway...

> Anyone out there in current-land using DMA tranfer mode on a IDE disk
> without hangs?  I see the support is in the driver, but is it finished?

 No it isn't finished but it doesn't make sense to use DMA on ISA or VLB
IDE cards because they can't handle it (something to do with adding
DRQ / DACK lines on the card I believe). And if they could use DMA it
would be way too slow.

 It makes much more sense to use DMA with PCI boards. DMA type F should
be able to give you the right speed. But my question at the moment is:
 Where's the documentation on how to program DMA type F on PCI boards ??
Any pointers to books, documents or sites on the net are welcome.

> Is anyone running with it?  Comments on performance improvement?

 Not yet, if everything goes well I'll have a new pentium pci board this
coming weekend. One of the first priorities will be to get DMA type F and
the triton busmastering stuff working.

Onno van der Linden (onno@simplex.nl)