Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.0 and/or -current and Windows '95 VFATs
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, simmons@darykon.wa.com>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/16/1995 20:43:08
> I'm currently evaluating Windows '95 on a machine that also has NetBSD 1.0 on
> another partition. A potential problem occurred to me this morning over
> coffee. When it installs (and runs) Windows '95 converts existing FATs into
> VFATs to support long filename as well as, I'm certain, other things. Anyone
> know whether these changes will affect NetBSD'd ability to properly read/write
> an MSDOS partition?

Well, I looked into that.

As far as I can tell, Win95 only uses some directory entries for the
long names marking them so other users of the filesystem don't get mixed up.

So reading should be no problem.

Writing is another story. These additional entries are ignored by the
current version of msdosfs. Thus the implicit links between the entries for
the long names and the standard entries will be broken up, if you delete
a file/directory on a Win95 partition. Creation of files should be no
problem (as long as you didn't delete something previously).

> If so, is anyone working on a modification to the MSDOS FS under -current to
> support the new Win '95 FS?

Well, if anyone can get me a spec of the new Win95 fs, I'd be happy to
integrate support for it. I think I understood most of the format, but
there obviously is some sort of checksum in the new entries that I don't
know how to compute.
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800