Subject: Re: NetBSD on Laptops
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/1995 08:53:12
Mathias Engan (engan@sm.luth.se) wrote:
: Is there anyone out there who has any experience with
: NetBSD on X86 / Pentium laptops?

yes. The idea is to install from floppies, or at least install the
installation kernel onto the hard disk, copy over the installation
scripts from the installation filesystem, and use single user mode to
copy experimental Kernels with PCMCIA network support onto it using,
e.g., raw tar image floppies. Once the kernel recognizes and handles the
network connection, you can continue installation that way. (Or use
nfs/ftp over a PPP line over the serial, which I didn't try).

: Can NetBSD handle PCMCIA cards?

yes. I've done that for an Toshiba laptop. OS is NetBSD-1.0 with Stefan
Grefens PCMCIA-Framework built in, and the if_ep driver changed by me to
recognize the 3COM 3c589B card (and if_ed to recognize the NE4100).

I can't say anything about the up-to-date versions of the PCMCIA stuff.
The machine is in production use for another few weeks, and I also need
to keep the machine with the kernel sources at 1.0 for that time.

: We want to run NetBSD on an IBM ThinkPad, and we need
: to connect it to an ethernet.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis