Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.0 on 4MB machine
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, tron@colwyn.owl.de>
From: Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/09/1995 10:43:00
>	Hi,

Heigh-ho!

>will NetBSD-i386 1.0 run STABLE on a machine with only 4MB?
>I know that the Amiga port runs very unstable with only 4MB RAM.

I have been running NetBSD-i386 1.0 with only 4MB for almost a year now
and it has been ultra-stable.  The only crash I ever had was due to triggering
a bug in the /dev/speaker driver.  I have even run X, though the swapping is
so bad it's usually not worth it.  You can get into a trashing bind if you
edit overly large files and they exceed the size of the core -- vi behaves
very badly in this case.  As an IP dialup server, though, this probably isn't
an issue.  In case it matters, I use a 32mb swap.

>Matthias Scheler
>tron@colwyn.owl.de

Max

|  /\  /\/  Max Bell <mbell@europa.com>  | Help save the Net.  Support your |