Subject: Re: PCVT vs. XFree86 3.1.x
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Volker Brandt <volker@carlotta.iam.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/28/1995 21:29:05
I wrote:

>In article <199508221750.SAA00182@colwyn.owl.de> Matthias Scheler <tron@colwyn.owl.de> writes:
>>I run -current kernel on a P90 with a SPEA Mercury V7. Since I enabled
>>PCVT I have the problem that XFree86's (3.1.1 and 3.1.2) display is
>>some how shifted to the right. The mouse pointer is at the right location
>>but the windows are all at the wrong location. If I switch once to
>>another virtual console and back everything is at the right position.
>
>This is interesting.  I run -current [Aug 17] on a 486DX2 with 3.1.1
>on my #9 GXE64PRO [S3 964].  I have the exact same problem since
>upgrading from 3.1 -- but I am running the stock vga driver!  I have
>built a pcvt 3.0 kernel, but that crashes somewhere in /etc/rc, while
>the non-pcvt kernel works fine.  Obviously, I can't switch to another
>virtual console w/o pcvt so the problem stays.

Now I do have pcvt running, I switched to v3.30.  But the problem
persists. My guess is that it is neither depending on the console
driver nor on the version of XFree that is used.

But now that I have a pcvt kernel up and running, I can switch between
virtual screens, and lo and behold, switching away from and back to
the screen with the X server makes the problem go away!

Anyway, could people please mail me the mode lines that they use with
a SONY Multiscan 17se monitor?  I use the one provided in the
XF86Config file, but I am not happy with it.

Stop nuke tests -- don't buy French!      		Volker A. Brandt
Internet: volker@iam.uni-bonn.de			Angewandte Mathematik
Phone/FAX number available upon request			(Bonn, Germany)