Subject: Strange problem
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/25/1995 09:51:54
Hi folks...

I'm having an `interesting' problem with a new Pentium system, and was
hoping that some of you might have an idea of what the problem might be.

It's an ASUS PCI/ISA board, Award BIOS, 100 MHz CPU, 64mb RAM.  The video
installed is an ATI Mach 64 ISA, and the ethernet card is a 3c509.  The
system is installed on an 815mb EIDE (forgive me) disk.  There is an NCR
53c825 board in a PCI slot, but this problem appears without that card
installed as well.

The system boots fine right up until it autoconfigures the PCI stuff.  At
that point, the video gets _whacked_.  It's difficult to explain ... sort
of like someone pushed the left hand of the screen downward and pushed
the right hand side upward.  Also, the BIOS information gets displayed
somehow, and if you scroll long enough, the pattern repeats.  Characters
typed do not appear where the cursor is, but rather above and to the
right.  The problem occurs with both pccons and pcvt, as well as with an
old no-frills Video 7 VGA card.

Well, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions (besides throw the machine off
a roof ... I've already thought of that :-), I'd love to hear them.

Ciao.