Subject: Re: Networking problems.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.rhein.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/19/1995 19:22:37
"John F. Woods" <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com> writes:

>Because this is such a common usage, perhaps it would be justified to
>add dedicated flags to ifconfig like "10base5", "10base2", and "10baseT"?
>I know, adding driver-specific flags to ifconfig means a potential explosion
>of oddball little flags, but until more than four people total are using
>anything other than Ethernet, SLIP, or PPP, that seems like less of a problem.
>Of course, this assumes that all ethernet drivers which implement these three
>media types interpret link0 and link1 exactly the same.

It also assumes that no ethernet driver would have more options. After
all there are only three flags. And what about other hardware ? How
should ifconfig decide what flags are appropriate ?

I'd rather get rid of the link flags and have driver specific
configuration commands (or compile-time switches for settings necessary
at boot time).

Regards,
--
                                Michael van Elst