Subject: Re: Keyboard LED timeout (again) - pcvt
To: None <hm@hcs.de>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/10/1995 10:25:38
In message <m0sgWKW-000UTYC@hcswork.hcs.de>, Hellmuth Michaelis writes:

> These keyboard problems are totally frustrating, even more as i am not able
> to reproduce any of them over here. It seems as if the main device involved
> is the 8042 keyboard controller on the motherboard which seems to behave
> very strange in some implementations, the keyboard itself does play a role,
> but it seems to be not that important than the 8042.

Hmm, I had a keyboard (el cheapo), that did give me LED TIMEOUTs under
NetBSD-1.0/i386.  I swapped it with a better one (RT6855T+ ???), and have
not seen anything complaining about it yet.

A solution (hack), might be to have a static variable that gets incremented
every time the LEDs TIMEOUT.  After a suitable amount of time, turn the
warnings off.  It's a hack, but...

Oh, yeah, another thing that I saw happening with the old keyboard, was that
when I would get out of wfw3.11 (shudder), the response from the keyboard was
*very* slow.  It felt as if the CPU was taking a huge number of interrupts
repeatedly.

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru, Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |