Subject: Keyboard LED timeout (again) - pcvt
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/09/1995 04:41:56
Now that I've switched to pcvt, I'm starting to get frequent LED timeout
errors.  The symptom is that I switch screens and all of a sudden, NUMLOCK
stays on and never goes off.  This is under very low load (.03-.05)

The behavior I see at bootup is that when scrolling, the NUMLOCK light will
go on, then turn back off when it has stopped doing anything to the
terminal and it is ready for input.  Is this normal?

PS: I had to install the termcap that came with pcvt into ~/.termcap in
order to get full functionality.  The default one doesn't have li/whatever,
as noted previously.  That is when this "new" behavior of the NUMLOCK appeared.

I'm getting tired of these messages.  fixes/workarounds?
How come this keyboard LED thing has bugged me since NetBSD 0.9, and has
been resurrected at least twice to bite me?  Is the PC keyboard interface
really that bad/convoluted? (don't answer that, I know enough to know better :)
--
VaX#n8 (vak-sa-nate) - n, CS senior++ and Unix junkie - vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Deal with evil through strength, yet encourage good through trust.    - PGP me