Subject: Re: Swap Space Filling Up and Lockups
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Burton <james@Snark.apana.org.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/04/1995 18:57:32
Hi Curt,

> I've been having a strange problem with one of my NetBSD 1.0 servers
> where it locks up every once in a while, but not entirely. The
> low-level stuff (pings, switching VT screens, num lock light) seems
> to keep working, but I cannot get any response from any processes
> (e.g, typing on the keyboard, trying to telnet in, name resolution).
>
> The machine has 32 MB of swap space and 8 MB of RAM. (The other
> 8MB is currently out on loan.) I've noticed that the swap space
> also seems to fill up (over the course of a few days--the machine
> is not too heavily loaded) until it hits 100%, where it sits. This
> seems to happen before the machine freezes; this time around the
> machine froze about ten or eleven hours after the swap space filled
> up.
>
> Any thoughts on this? Does swap space never get reclaimed? Will
> retreiving my other 8MB of memory and putting it back in fix this?

I've noticed that INN seems to "grow" according to TOP. After a fresh
boot it registers at about 930K and the highest I've seen it get up to
is 3900K. Perhaps you have a similar situation.

James
--
James Burton                                    |
EMail: James@Snark.apana.org.au                 | Kingsbury