Subject: Swap Space Filling Up and Lockups
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/03/1995 12:46:44
I've been having a strange problem with one of my NetBSD 1.0 servers
where it locks up every once in a while, but not entirely. The
low-level stuff (pings, switching VT screens, num lock light) seems
to keep working, but I cannot get any response from any processes
(e.g, typing on the keyboard, trying to telnet in, name resolution).

The machine has 32 MB of swap space and 8 MB of RAM. (The other
8MB is currently out on loan.) I've noticed that the swap space
also seems to fill up (over the course of a few days--the machine
is not too heavily loaded) until it hits 100%, where it sits. This
seems to happen before the machine freezes; this time around the
machine froze about ten or eleven hours after the swap space filled
up.

Any thoughts on this? Does swap space never get reclaimed? Will
retreiving my other 8MB of memory and putting it back in fix this?

cjs

--
Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.