Subject: Re: Motherboard recommendations?
To: Marc Unangst <mju@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/25/1995 14:30:30
The ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G board that I'm using supports both the '486 and
the Pentium, and has three PCI slots in addition to four ISA slots,
plus on-board PCI, IDE and Floppy controllers, two serial ports and a
parallel port.   I don't know about the speed tradeoff of using this
board with a Pentium.   One thing you should consider is whether you
can move your SIMMs to the new board - my board requires you to add
72-pin SIMMs two at a time, for a wider memory bus.

NetBSD-1.0 is running happily on my motherboard, although I've heard
of some problems with rebooting on some ASUS boards populated with
Pentiums in -current.  I haven't been able to upgrade yet because this
is my only machine right now and I can't risk the downtime if
something goes wrong...

			       _MelloN_