Subject: Re: NCR 53c810 doesn't like external SDT-5000 tape drive?
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.blrc.ma.us>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/22/1995 17:23:48
On Sat Jul 22 07:42:34 1995, John Kohl wrote:

> I have an external tape drive (Sony SDT-5000) which won't work on my new
> Pentium PCI system with NCR 53c810 controller.  Whenever I connect it
> up, the scsi controller keeps resetting/failing to probe/etc.

I have the same problem with the Sony SDT-5000 on my Amiga which has an
53C710 controller. The system didn't come up after i get my new Quantum Grand
Prix drive and removed my HP 2247 drive. Both ends have active terminators.
But I can boot after setting the WS (WaitSpin) jumper on the Quantum, so the Quantum
spins up when he gets an signal from the controller (the DAT is ready before
Quantum is ready). I am 99% sure that the DAT needs to long to responds to the
controller. I have a 3.02 revision of the DAT. The only problem is that i can't
make an reset with this combination, because the system still hangs then.

Bernd