Subject: Re: panics on i386
To: Robert Dobbs <banshee@gabriella.resort.com>
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/22/1995 11:57:40

> der mouse patches seem to have increased the mean time between crashes
> but my system is still panicing every couple of hours.
> Jul 21 22:38:25 atrium savecore: reboot after panic: free: unaligned addr 0x%x, size %d, type %s, mask %d
>
> interestingly enough, very few crashes occurred when I shifted my drives
> into a 486DX/50 from the normal 386/20.  But the crashes did still occur.
> Either slow hardware or excessive use of swap exasperated this problem.
>
> -j

I am inclined to think this is slow hardware related.

I have tried stripping my kernel features down to bare minimum,
removing unnecessary things like sound cards, etc. and have come to
the conclusion that the crashes are caused by the transfer of data
over a NFS link on a PPP connection.  If I disable the hourly job
that transfers data over this link, my computer seems to stay up
indefinitely.  This PPP connection might be analogous to your slower
machine perhaps having a problem keeping up with interupts generated
by the network interface.

I am admitedly out of my element WRT finding this, but am happy
to try other things that might help locate this problem.

Sidenote:  I just noticed your address being gabrialla.resort.com.
I was getting a great deal of the following blocked packets this
past week from gabriella.resort.com.  What's up with that?

Jul 19 00:24:20 sierra /netbsd: IPFIREWALL(ppp0):  blocking filter #26 rejected TCP TAIL-FRAGMENT 165.227.14.70:12336 198.183.2.1:14134