Subject: Re: Trouble with NCR 810
To: John Milford <jwm@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/1995 11:51:50
> /* Ten finger copy */
>
> pci_map_mem: memory mapped at c0000000-c0000fff
> pci_map_int: no mapping for pin A at irq10
> CACHE TEST FAILED: host wrote 1, ncr read -1.
> CACHE TEST FAILED: ncr wrote 2, host read 1.
> CACHE TEST FAILED: ncr wrote 2, read back -1.
> CACHE INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED.
> /* Hangs  */

I'd say that your motherboard and/or bios is doing some things Very
Wrong.

in particular:

(1) the fact that those cache tests failed would seem to
	indicate that the motherboard is caching things incorrectly
	and/or not properly invalidating data when devices master
	the bus, and

(2) the message from pci_map_int() indicates that the BIOS is not
	correctly (per the PCI spec) configuring the card's interrupt.

	the PCI spec says that (on PCs) the interrupt line information
	in the card's config space PCI registers will be the IRQ
	number to which the BIOS has routed the card's interrupt.
	if the interrupt line is zero (as would seem to be the case;
	that's the cause of that message), then the BIOS has
	either biffed setting it, or has not routed the card's
	interrupt.

I would strongly encourage you to contact your motherboard
manufacturer (AIR, i guess), and/or BIOS manufacturer, to see if
there's a later version of the BIOS that you should be using.

cgd