Subject: Out of inodes?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/10/1995 09:53:48
I'm having a regular problem, occurring more and more frequently these
days, where my system decides that there are no more inodes free
on some filesystem and then can do nothing until rebooted. No
programs will run.  I see the message "uid 0 on /var: out of inodes"
(though the filesystem varies, none of my filesystems are anywhere
near running out of inodes; /var, for example, has 256 used and
16638 free).

I'm running NetBSD 1.0 on an ASUS PCI motherboard with the ASUS
NCR 53c810 PCI SCSI controller. I'm using ncr.c 1.1 patch level 16
(95.02.21) from Stefan Esser. I've got a couple of Quantum Lightening
drives (a 380 MB and a 540 MB); the "out of inodes" error has
occurred on filesystems both drives.

I've got two other systems running virtually the same kernel, but
they use the Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller, and neither has shown
this problem ever.

Any thoughts?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Retrogrouch n. a person who spurns
Internet Portal Services, Ltd.		clipless pedals, and is still dubious