Subject: Re: How to make pppd dial out... FAQ
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/1995 09:24:25
> I am getting back to the wonderful world of serial coms after my portable
> Compaq has aquired enough memory and disk to run NetBSD. kermit (from 190
> sources) works fine, but damed if I can get pppd/chat to open the /dev/tty00
> device.

Well I know in a previous post I mentioned I hadn't needed to patch
chat and/or pppd...

This morning I switched over to a new modem and sure enough chat could
not open /dev/tty02.

Quick trip to the modem with kermit to tell it to assert DCD _always_
(except for brief drop when carrier is lost), and I'm back in
business.

I must have had my old modem set like that too.

This should not be necessary, so I'll see about fixing chat after I
bring my sources up to date... assuming it hasn't been done.

--sjg