Subject: Re: IDE CD-ROMS
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Wilkinson <paul@parsys.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/1995 10:44:55
 risner@ms.uky.edu writes

 >IDE CDROMS does not equal custom cdrom interfaces.

 >Mitsumi makes two types of CDROMS.

 >Custom cards and IDE style.

 >*BSD and Linux do support the following:

 >SCSI
 >Mitsumi
 >Panasonic
 >Matshuitsu
 >Sony

 >But from what your saying is that Linux supports the IDE cdroms.

 >These reside at 0x1f0, IRQ 14 and can NOT reside anywahere else
 >(well except the alternate location which DOS machines can not use but
 >is 0x170 irq 15)

 >So if it is 0x300 base then it is NOT an IDE CDROM.

 >Risner

Like I said, my colleague has an identical system, read with IDE CD-ROM.

The kernel config lines I included in my previous mail were from NetBSD
and my conclusion was that, in NetBSD, /dev/mdc0 provides support for
what you have now confirmed is a Mitsumi custom card.

Other mail on this subject confirms Linux does support ATAPI CD-ROM's, I
can only guess what an ATAPI CD-ROM drive is, it sounds like an IDE CD-ROM
can be an ATAPI drive, in which case that would explain how Linux is able
to talk to an IDE CD-ROM.

Thanks for your help,

Paul.