Subject: X/mouse problem with ast?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/1995 00:58:54
Hi,

My X is broken! :-(  After rebuilding to the latest sup,
my X won't run, with an error like the following:
"unable to set status of mouse fd (inappropriate ioctl for device)"
And it hangs. (I see the message in the redirected output)
I can kill X with ctrl-alt-backspace and get my terminal back
though, so it looks like a problem with the serial port.  I
have an AST 4port serial (2 16450, 2 16550) and the mouse is
on the first port. (16450, /dev/tty00)  If I add a "softcar"
to the ttys line I can tip to /dev/tty00 and mouse movement
data is seen.
So.. is this something I missed?  I'm pretty sure all of
my source files are up to date as I had to use the '-o' option
with the new sup and it verified everything.  I was thinking
it might be related to the recent com.c changes?  I am compiling
a kernel with 'options KTRACE' so I can see what ioctl it
was, but thought I'd ask as it might have been noticed by others.

Thanks!

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                       gillham@andrews.edu
LAN/WAN/Netware/Unix Analyst