Subject: Re: IDE CDROM
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Wilkinson <paul@parsys.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/28/1995 17:36:03
  risner@ms.uky.edu said
> Thats an easy answer.

> IDE cdrom are not supported.

> In fact no free UNIX or Commerical UNIX I know of supports them.

> This list includes:
> SCO Unix
> UnixWare
> NextStep
> NetBSD/386
> FreeBSD 2.0.5
> Linux *
> Solaris/intel

> Probably others...

> Risner

Hi Risner

Well here is some good news for you then. A colleague of mine just
down the passage has exactly the same system running Linux and he most
definitely can use the IDE CD-ROM.

Also what is the NetBSD /dev/mcd entry then, as it seems distinctly different
from the /dev/cd entry which appears as a SCSI device in the config file.

sd*    at scsibus? target ? lun     # SCSI CD-ROM drives
        .
        .
mcd0   at isa? port 0x300 irq 10    # Mitsumi CD-ROM drives

The config entry for mcd0 looks like it has it's own controller sitting in
an ISA slot and setup for port 0x300 and irq 10.

Is that a reasonable guess, I don't know too much about PC architectures so
again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.