Subject: Re: How to make pppd dial out... FAQ
To: None <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/1995 11:02:23
>I am getting back to the wonderful world of serial coms after my portable
>Compaq has aquired enough memory and disk to run NetBSD. kermit (from 190
>sources) works fine, but damed if I can get pppd/chat to open the /dev/tty00
>device.
>
>Any offers people ? (Real modem, i386, NetBSD-current as of May
>binary snapshot)

Upgrading may help, the com driver changed recently (current rev is
1.59).

>nothing. Help. (Again 'local', 'softcar' have been tried).

It works fine for me.  My modem is tty00, and the line for it in
/etc/ttys ends with 'off local'.  I have no problems with dialing out
for PPP.

My /etc/ppp/options file includes:

/dev/tty00
19200
crtscts
connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/dial'

It may be significant that I do NOT use pppd's 'modem' keyword.

Chat logs everything to local2.* if you use the -v flag.  So, add a
line to /etc/syslog.conf that looks like:

local2.*		/var/log/local2

Touch /var/log/local2, sighup syslog, and you're ready to go.  Look at
/var/log/local2 to see if (and how) chat is interacting with your
modem.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));