Subject: LBA adressing ?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: JOCHEN BUEHLER <buehler@chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/1995 15:29:21
Hi !

Is it  correct that -current kernels    for NetBSD/i386
use LBA adressing as default ?
I`m trying to boot the INST-10A kernel from may 25 on
a PC with 540meg IDE disk and cannot acces the hd (device wd0x
not configured, but reported on bootup. disklabel shows
correct partition table but instead of FS types only "unused").
This problem does not occur with  the 1.0 disk set.
The only difference I can see at startup is that the 1.0A kernel
wants to use "16 bit PIO, LBA adressing", the 1.0 not.

As I`m trying to help a friend to get NetBSD running on this PC
I have to admit, that my experience is limited to running
NetBSD on Amigas. So I beg for pardon if this turns out to be a
silly question because my knowledge of PC hardware is not
very strong...

             thanks

                Jochen